Friday, May 6, 2011

channa masala

I absolutely LOVE channa otherwise known as chickpeas or garbanzo beans. I wanted to use black channa for this recipe, a smaller, firmer dark chickpea than the one shown here however I could not find any at my local grocery store. I have asked them to order it in so I will be making this dish again as soon as the black channa arrive.
1 1/2 cups channa
1 tsp cumin
2 cm ginger, chopped
1 tomato, diced
2 Tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp oil
juice from 1 lime
pinch of tumeric powder
salt and pepper

Rinse and soak the channa overnight. Follow the link below for cooking directions.
http://www.vegetarian-cooking-recipes-tips.com/how-to-cook-chickpeas.html

In a pan, heat the oil, then add the cumin, ginger, tomato and tumeric. Saute for a couple of minutes then add the drained channa and continue to cook for another minute or two.

Remove from heat and transfer to serving dish. Top with coriander leaves and lime juice before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment