Sunday, May 8, 2011

chilli con carne

When I posted the spring panzanella salad I also wrote about a chilli I made with it but forgot to post the recipe.... I don't fully remember what I put into it but I will post the recipe from memory to the best of my ability. It was a winner so I will have to make it again soon.

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, minced
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1 fresh or dried hot chile, seeded and minced, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 stock lemon grass chopped (big chunks as you will remove)
1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
2 bay leaves
1 can tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can red kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

In a large pot over medium heat add the onion to the hot oil. Saute onions until translucent, add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add to this the liquid, the chilie, cumin, cinnamon, lemongrass, bay leaves and oregano. Bring ingredients to a boil.
Add the can of tomatoes and paste. Cover, turn down to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add in the beans, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and enJOY;)

No comments:

Post a Comment