Thursday, September 2, 2010

medi.summer.salad


On my last trip to the market I found beautiful purple peppers and green zebra heirlooms as well as local garlic. The peppers are meant to be eaten raw as cooking will rob them of their vibrant color. I threw together this easy summer salad for a quick backyard lunch with some of my new favorite hydrator, cucumber lemon juice.

Serves 2
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 cup quinoa(cooked)
1 purple pepper (or any local pepper)
3 small green zebra heirloom tomatoes
2 small yellow heirloom tomatoes
2 mini cucumbers
mini bocconcini
1 clove garlic; these local cloves are huge
1 large handful of basil
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
balsamic vinegar
olive oil

Fine dice the garlic and chip basil; toss these into a bowl with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper and whisk until combined.

In a medium size bowl toss your chopped selection of peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and the bocconcini cheese, add the chickpeas and quinoa and toss with the dressing.

I like to garnish my plate or bowl with a squeeze of balsamic reduction and whole basil leaves to top off this bright, clean salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment