Friday, September 17, 2010

whole.grain.mix

I was craving grain for breakfast, particularly steel cuts oats, however, when I went to my cupboard I discovered I was out. I decided to mix it up a little. I wanted to add kasha, so I knew I had to start with boiling water. I threw two cups of water onto the stove in a pot. I mixed a cup of dry grain together and threw it into the boiling water, let it cook for a couple of minutes and then turned down to simmer for 20 minutes.

ingredients:
1 cup mixed grains, I used oats, kasha, quinoa, amaranth and millet.
a pinch of sea salt
2 cups boiling water.

When my grains were done I added 1 tsp of tamari and a touch of shallot dressing I had made with chilli oil and apple cider vinegar, garlic and shallots. I prefer savory even for breakfast.

If I had made this for Erik he would prefer a touch of agave, some crushed almonds and some almond milk.









1 comment: