Thursday, September 2, 2010

omega.efa.dha.what.does.it.all.mean???

A lazy day at the lake during the summer with friends and the brain is in ultimate relax mode. As we walked down to the waters edge my long time friend Rebecca pops the question, “What is the benefit of these omega vitamins I take every morning anyway?’ I think for a moment and tell her, it’s good for the fat cells in your body and really beneficial for your brain. Good answer Joyanne, I think to myself; obviously I have been neglecting mine;)

Although what I have told her is true there is much more to it than this. Had I kept on with my explanation she may not have heard anyway, as a mother with two beautiful babies under the age of three all she cared about was the brain…. boasting to her other gal pal that it was going to help her remember things.

Fat is essential in our bodies and fatty acids are the main components of these fats. Omega 3’s are only obtained from food such as cold-water fish, fish oil and nut and certain vegetable oils. These fats help to protect again diseases such as heart disease, cancer and stroke; they also help to lower bad cholesterol or LDL. Omega 3’s also contribute to brain and eye development and can help to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.We can thank our omega 3’s for shiny hair and beautiful looking skin!

Omega 6 is another essential that our bodies cannot produce on their own so again we rely on the food we consume for this one. Omega 6’s are found primarily in meat, poultry, eggs, raw nuts, seeds and legumes and in unsaturated vegetable oils such as grape seed oil, sesame oil and primrose oil.

Lastly Omega 9 fatty acids are produced by the body but may also be obtained from food. Canola, olive oil, sunflower oil and nut oils have high levels of omega 9.

My favorite source of this oil’s is UDO’s Choice, Certified Organic, Udo’s Oil 3.6.9 Blend (an ideal 2:1:1 ratio of unrefined omega fatty acids)

As far as fish oil my preferred brand is, Metagenics, EPA DHA 720 Omega-3 Fish Oil 120 Softgels.

No comments:

Post a Comment